Music là một chủ đề tương đối khó trong bài thi Speaking. Thí sinh có thể gặp khó khăn về mặt từ vựng cũng như ý tưởng (vì đây là một chủ đề không phổ biến).
Trong bài viết hôm nay, ODY xin gửi đến các bạn một bài nói tham khảo cho chủ đề này nhé!
Describe a singer that you like.
You should say:
- who this person is
- what type of songs he/she sings
- what type of people listen to his/her songs
- and explain why you like him/her.
I’m going to talk about an artist whose stage name is Lisa. She’s a member of an all-girl Korean music band named Blackpink. I’m not usually into Korean Pop music, however, by chance, I saw a documentary about this group called “Lights Up the Sky”. In the beginning, I liked all four members equally, but Lisa would become my favorite as I learned more about each of them.
In spite of being a member of one of the most popular K-pop bands of all time, she’s actually from Thailand where she lived during her childhood. As a teen, she moved to Korea to pursue her dream of being a performer. I think it must have been difficult for her in the beginning because she didn’t speak Korean. Eventually, she overcame the cultural and the language barriers and emerged as a promising pop star. I’ve always been amazed that she can manage to speak three languages fluently, including, Thai, English and Korean.
In terms of her role within Blackpink, I think she’s the most versatile member of the group. She can rap, dance and sing. Her singing voice is angelic. On stage, she’s extremely energetic and her choreography is often mesmerising to look at. She has a charismatic and confident stage presence. She also has such great chemistry with her bandmates and maybe that’s why their performances are always excellent. In real life, she comes across as a humble artist who is serious about her work. I think her agency is cooking up a plan for her to release a solo album. i’m sure that i’ll support her by purchasing it.
- stage name (n): nghệ danh
- all-girl (adj): toàn nữ
- to overcome (v): vượt qua
- barrier (n): rào cản
- to emerge (v): nổi lên (nghĩa bóng)
- promising (adj): có triển vọng
- versatile (adj): đa năng
- angelic (adj): như thiên thần
- mesmerising (adj(: hấp dẫn
- charismatic (adj): thu hút, lôi cuốn
- stage presence (n): thần thái trên sân khấu, khả năng làm chủ sân khấu
- chemistry (n): sự ăn ý
- to come across : có vẻ là là
- cooking up a plan (expression): lên kế hoạch.
1. What kind of music do people like at different ages?
I think the taste in music is generational. That means, regardless of their current age, people mainly prefer the music they listened to when they were a teen. So a person who was born in the 70s would be into disco, whereas a person who was born in the 80s would be keen on pop or hip hop. What’s more?I think, as we get older, we tend to be less receptive to new styles or genres of music but we become more open minded about oldies and timeless classics. I found that my friends and I had started talking about classical composers and their works such Beethoven and his “Moonlight sonata” or Tchaikovski’s “Swan Lake”.
- generational (adj): ma
- the taste in something (n. phrase): gu/sở thích về cái gì đó (food, music, clothes…)
- regardless of : bất kể, bất chấp
- to tend (v) + to : có xu hướng
- be receptive (adj) + to: có thể tiếp thu/lĩnh hội
- oldie (n): bài nhạc xưa, cũ
- timeless classics: những tác phẩm bát hủ
2. What kind of music is popular in your country now and what kind will be in the future?
I’m not versed in the various genres of music so I’ll try my best to speculate. As far as I remember, pop-ballad has always been something that people enjoy listening to. Slow-paced songs about love and romance attract listeners of all ages and I don’t see them going anywhere soon. Interestingly, there has been an emergence of Rap music in Vietnam. After years of being nurtured by the underground community, Rap became mainstream last year with the two rap contests, namely “Rap Viet” and “King of Rap”.
- be versed in: hiểu rõ về
- slow-paced (adj): chậm (về tiết tấu)
- to attract (v): thu hút
- emergence (n): sự nổi lên
- nurture (n): nuôi dưỡng (trong bài dùng theo nghĩa bóng). be nurtured: được nuôi dưỡng
- mainstream (adj): đại chúng, phổ biến (có thể hiểu là popular)
- contest (n): cuộc thi. khác với exam vì trong contest có người thắng người thua.
3. Do parents in your country require their children to learn and to play musical instruments?
I wouldn’t use the word “require”, but I would say more and more parents have become aware that playing musical instruments isn’t just a hobby. They are putting their children into weekend classes or hiring private tutors to teach their children to play piano, violin or guitar. Although most people, myself included, have yet to grasp the influence of playing instruments on a child’s mind, I still think it is beneficial to young children in some way, intellectually. On a practical note, some universities have begun to take into account the artistic achievements of their prospective students beside their academic records. So learning how to play an instrument is helpful one way or another.
- myself included: cách nói “bao gồm cả tôi”
- grasp (v): nắm bắt được. nghĩa bóng: hiểu được, ngộ được
- on a practical note hoặc from a practical perspective: từ khía cạnh thực tiễn/thực dụng
- prospective (adj): tương lai, tiềm năng
- take into account something: xem xét
- achievement (n): thành tích, thành tựu
4. Why do some people like to listen to live music while others prefer CDs?
These two choices show that there isn’t a “correct” way of enjoying music. I think that it really depends on the listeners’ personality and what gives them the most pleasure. Some people love the atmosphere of live concerts. They get a kick out of the realness of the moment and the sound despite its imperfection. In concerts, some artists also do crowd work which seems really interactive and, on some level, intimate. One the other hand, there are people who like to have their music undisturbed by cheers and yells, or more specifically, they want to listen to perfect renditions of their favorite songs in the comfort of their home.
- pleasure (n): niềm vui
- get a kick out of (n): thích thú về
- realness (n): sự chân thực
- crow work (n): tương tác với khán giả, nói chuyện trực tiếp với khán giả
- interactive (adj): có tính tương tác
- intimate (adj): gần gũi
- undisturbed (adj): không bị làm phiền, gián đoạn
- rendition (n): phiên bản
Bạn muốn biết thêm về phương pháp học cũng như lộ trình luyện thi IELTS phù hợp với trình độ của bản thân, bạn có thể nhắn tin cho ODY IELTS thông qua Fanpage ODY IELTS tại: https://ody.vn/để được tư vấn và giải đáp nhé.
ODY IELTS chúc các bạn ôn luyện IELTS đạt được kết quả cao.